Monday, June 19, 2017

My Cat is My Therapist

I've always known my cats had a 6th sense about my moods, but it was made more clear to me this weekend.  I've suspected Truffle and I had a unique emotional connection since the first day I met her.  Even a pet astrologer (several years ago) said that Truffle thought I was the center of her world.  Mom Terri told me I was getting a very special kitty because of the way Truffle supported her emotionally after Beignet (Truffle's litter mate) died.  Truffle was only 12 weeks old, yet, she followed Terri around and stayed close that first week instead of playing with the other kittens (from another litter). I feel that when I look into Truffle's eyes that she sees inside me and knows what I am thinking and feeling.


Truffle is my special therapist kitty


I had no idea where Truffle was Saturday morning when I was awakened by the phone.  I found out Saturday morning that my mom's best friend of 45+ years passed away.  We knew the time was close, but it's always difficult when it actually happens.  All of the kids called her Ma Hester and she did feel like my second mom.  I was doing okay until Ma Hester's son called me and asked me to sing for her funeral this week.  When I hung up the phone, I broke down. I lifted my head from my hands for a few seconds and Truffle was on floor beside the bed looking up at me and then jumped on the bed and crawled into my lap.  I picked her up and cried into her fur for several minutes.  She was the most patient thing and purred the entire time.  What's important to know about this is that Truffle isn't one to climb onto my lap or let me hold her for long periods of time.  


Photo courtesy Bayer (BlogPaws 2017)

You can barely read the print on the sign I'm holding at BlogPaws 2017, but it says "therapist."  Little did I realize how true this statement would be.  I've discovered that Truffle is there for me when I'm emotionally upset and Brulee is there for me when I'm physically sick (she will sleep right beside me the entire time I'm in bed).

The quote in the first photo says it all.  There have been so many time the past 21 years (since my divorce) I felt alone and there was one of my girls (Praline, Truffle, or Brulee) right there beside me to remind me that I always have company and never be alone as long as they are around.

31 comments:

  1. Pets make the best therapists - we can always make my momma feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have the best of both worlds with your two girls - Truffle to help you emotionally, and Brulee to help you when you are sick physically. We kitties are healers. I know because I love doing that. How lucky you are to have such special ones.

    P.S. What an amazing gift to have your beautiful voice to offer at Ma Hester's funeral. Purrs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. it is so wonderful to have that unconditional love in our lives

    ReplyDelete
  4. That special connection is so very wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We know how important Feline furriends are in good times, and bad. We're glad your two have it all covered.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We agree that pets are the best therapists!
    Mum says it is hard to be angry or sad or depressed when you are surrounded by such precious creatures as we kitties :)
    So sorry to hear about Ma Hester. Hugs <3
    Purrs Georgia,Julie and JJ

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had a similar moment with my Truffles shortly before she died that I'll be writing about next month. They are the very best therapists we could ever ask for.

    With your beautiful voice I have a feeling there won't be a dry eye in the house at the funeral. Purrs to your family.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is a special connection. I am sorry for the loss of your Mom's friend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How interesting! And having a cat as a therapist sure is more fun than a real therapist! :)

    But seriously...we're sorry about your mom's friend. Purrs....

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is amazing how they can read us and be there for us!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry for the loss of your mom's friend. That is so special about Truffle.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are so true ! And you are lucky to have such special kitties to take good care of your body and your soul. Purrs

    ReplyDelete
  13. I couldn't agree more. Cats are so perceptive at picking up on their parent's feelings. I'm glad she was there for you, and I'm sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am so sorry for your loss. Cats are wiser than we all give them credit for and Truffle is without a doubt your kitty soulmate..*smile

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a sweetheart! ❤ I love how in-tune our pets really are too our emotions and our needs. My cat and my dogs all seem to pop up out of nowhere when I really need them. I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm glad Truffle was there for you in your time of need.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am so glad she was there for you in your time of sorrow. My Tibet is my "healer" kitty and cuddles me when I am dealing with pain, or other medical issues as I often do. Cats are mystical, magical creatures to be cherished.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lol, I love this! My dogs know what's happening before I do half the time 😂

    ReplyDelete
  18. The Ultimate on Wheels would be amazing to have & perfect for travel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Natalie - I believe you commented on the incorrect blog post. If you want to be entered in the giveaway, you need to enter through the Rafflecopter on the original post.

      Delete
  19. I have chills. I'm so sorry about your family friend but so happy that your cats, especially Truffle was there for you. Animals have so much empathy it never ceases to amaze me.

    ReplyDelete
  20. So sorry about your friend. But yes, pets are fantastic therapists. <3

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh Paula, first I'm so sorry for your loss. My condolences to you and your family. Yes it's a blessing Truffle (and your other cats past and present) are with you always. It's it fantastic and wonderful how they just know how to read us and understand what we are going through? They are always there for support through the good, bad and the ugly. They are truly little angels with paws.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Paula am so sorry to hear about your loss, sending you a big hug. I agree with you pets are the best therapy and without Layla my life would be miserable. I always say Baby RIP came into my life when we needed each other and she passed on when she knew I was safe.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm so sorry for your loss, even when you know the time is coming, it is never easy! I'm glad that Truffle is there for you for emotional support and Brulee is also there for you. I get a lot of comfort from my dogs.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm glad that Truffle was there for you through such a difficult phone call. I'm so sorry for your loss. *hugs* Cats do seem to have a way of understanding their humans' emotional and physical state in an almost mystical sort of way. Cinco was always the cat that understood me the best. Dexter is starting to pick up on things. Manna acknowledges the changes in me, but she's not the cuddly sort. She prefers to show her support by regularly checking in with me.
    -Purrs from your friends at www.PlayfulKitty.net

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a sweet moment, Truffles surely knew you needed comforting. Dolly does that with me too and it never ceases to amaze me how she knows.

    ReplyDelete
  26. So sorry for your loss and I am glad Truffle was there to provide support and comfort. She is so beautiful. Kilo gives me pug hugs. XS

    ReplyDelete
  27. It's so great the girls are there for you. Truffle knew what you needed and was all too happy to provide it. It's been said dog's are man's best friend, but I definitely think cats have the inside track!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Mr. N will sometimes bring me toys if I'm feeling down. I'm not quite sure if he's sharing or if he thinks throwing toys for him will make me feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  29. It's amazing how intuitive cats can be. They really do make the best therapists. I can always count on mine to pick me up when I'm feeling down. I loved reading this story about Truffle. What a sweet sweet girl <3

    ReplyDelete

It's so sweet of you to leave us a comment!