Friday, March 31, 2017

Retirement

Today's the day!  Mom Paula is retiring after 38 years in education and government!  We are thrilled because it means she will get to spend more time with us.  Mom Paula is a little nervous because it will be a whole new world for her and the finances will be a little tight until she turns old enough to receive her social security.
Mom Paula with Gail Morrison (person who hired her at CHE) at her retirement party

Mom Paula was an elementary school teacher for 1 year, a middle school mathematics teacher for 16 years, a college professor for 10 years, and a program manager at the South Carolina Commission on Higher Education for 11+ years.  She received a B.S. degree from the College of Charleston, a M.Ed. degree from the University of South Carolina, and a Ph.D. from Clemson University.  She is so thankful for all of the people she's met and worked with over the years and is looking forward to what's next.

What's Next?

Spending time with us is #1

Mom Paula:  I reach this point in my life with many emotions.  There is relief because there will no longer be the stress of going to a job everyday that is stressful, yet enriching.  There is apprehension because I'm going to be unemployed for the first time since I was 15 years old.  Yet, I look forward to these upcoming years with anticipation and excitement.  I have many goals for the future and if I accomplish these, I'll work harder than I did the past 38 years when I was getting paid.

  • Spend more time with the girls.  They've gotten used to me being home more the past 4 months because I had leave days I had to take or I'd lose them.  I enjoy going to a different room in the house and looking down to see they've joined me.  
  • Purge and reorganize my house.  My house is so cluttered!  I have so much stuff from being a mathematics education college professor and a program manager and it's time to purge.  I still have 4 boxes of data from my dissertation research from 20 years ago.  I want my house to become a home I enjoy living in again.
  • Take classes at  universities and online.  I want to learn about graphic design, HTML, SEO, photography, and other areas that will help with my blogging career.
  • Take care of myself.  Having been diagnosed with Celiac Disease 2 years ago, I really haven't taken care of myself physically or emotionally.  It's time to get outside in the fresh air, walk, become involved in activities, and eat healthier.
  • Travel.  I've been lucky to travel across the United States because of my career the past 20 years.  I'd like to visit every state in the United States and then venture across the borders and the ocean.  I'd love to meet the humans behind the cat (and dog) blogs I've come to love the past 9 years.
  • Volunteer.  I'm considering volunteering at a local shelter.  I don't know what I'd do yet or if I could handle the emotions of these homeless fur children, but I want to give back.
  • Enjoy whatever life brings me.  I'm lucky to still have both of my parents.  They are older and their time is limited, but I want to spend as much quality time with them as I can.  I want to enjoy life again. I want to experience life!
  • Become more involved in the blogging community, which definitely includes BlogPaws and the Cat Writers' Association.  

Look out world, here I come!


38 comments:

  1. you can do this!! we know you can....and we are so proud of you and can't wait to hear about your next adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Concats! TW says she's busier now than when she worked. She wants to cut down on blogging so she does have the time to clean house and purge what she no longer needs. Everything has sentimental value to her or so she says.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an exciting time in your life! You have the ability to achieve anything you set your mind to...the sky's the limit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats! What an exciting chapter to start!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not so much retirement, more a refreshment! Good luck for the next chapter in your life, Mom Paula!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations! As an aside, I thought of you when I saw the Gamecocks had made the Final Four :) I love that picture of the girls ... it's my favorite so far of them together.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I bet you will be busier in retirement than when you were working! But it will be a lot happier type of busy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a milestone day! Mom retired 3 years ago after a long career and can absolutely identify with the boxes of stuff from teaching, research and so forth. She had to let it sit till recently before she was able to really purge. It represented so much of her life and work.

    It sounds as if you have wonderful plans for keeping busy and less stressed. Do enjoy!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on your retirement, and I wish you every success with all of your future plans.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations!!! I hope you get to do everything on your list.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is going to be great new adventure for you. We can't wait to find out what you learn next.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have such a great perspective on things, Paula. I love how you're framing this in terms of an adventure, and you're focusing on your future. I can't wait to see what you'll do next. I'm sure you'll be amazing!

    Jean from Welcome to the Menagerie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Big congrats from all of us!!! You've earned every smile that will come with your new adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations Auntie Paul Your plans sound great!

    ReplyDelete
  15. ConCatulations on your retirement! We know you have many wonderful adventures ahead of you!

    The Florida Furkids

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congrats on retiring and I hope you accomplish all the things you want to do! Your travel goal sounds fun.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congratulations of reaching this milestone! I would enjoy having you stop by to meet my two Persian kitty boys (and me, since I come with the package!), and all I require is a little advance notice so I can sweep stuff under the rugs and touch up the dust.

    http://phainopepla95.com/ (AKA "weggieboy's blog ~ surviving retirement with two cats"

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow! So happy for you! It has been a wonderful career but not it is time to relax a bit and enjoy the simpler things in life! I hope that you have nothing but happiness and health as you start your new life!

    ReplyDelete
  19. So happy to see you have such pawsome goals! Stay focused on them and you will have such an awesome, happy, healthy rest of your life! Congratulations!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congratulations!! This is your time to do all that you've dreamed of & take care of YOU! You have some fabulous goals set for yourself. I look forward to reading about your journey. I am also retired - well, retired from corporate life & semi retired in general.
    Love & biscuits,
    Dogs Luv Us and We Luv Them

    ReplyDelete
  21. Huge concatulations to Mom Paula! She has quite the pedigree and we are certain that money will not be an issue. Maybe Mom Paula could write a book? I am sure there will be some new paying gigs in the immediate future. Best of luck to her! catchatwithcarenandcody

    ReplyDelete
  22. Concatulations to Mom Paula, and happy retirement to her ! We bet she's going to be busy ! Purrs

    ReplyDelete
  23. It sounds like you had a wonderful career! I hope that your retirement is everything you want it to be. I know it is difficult to have a reduced income, but hopefully, it won't put too much of a cramp in your plans.

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a wonderful career and so many great accomplishments! we know with your talent, whatever you decide to do will be done superbly!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. We're excited for you, Mom Paula, as you embark on this next chapter of your life. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Congratulations! I wish you much luck and fun as you embark on your new journey in life! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Congratulations Mom Paula. I am so excited for you. So many opportunities. I bet you will be amazing at coding and a lot of other things to do with blogging and websites because you are so good at Math. I am sure you will enjoy time with the girls and your family and friends, and getting out more and travelling. See you soon in Myrtle Beach XS

    ReplyDelete
  28. Best wishes for your new adventure(s).

    ReplyDelete
  29. We send our best Paula, we know you will find yourself busier than ever now you are stepping back from the hurly burly of thr working environment. You wil be able to give back to rescues via your technological gifts and maths as well as actually working at the shelters. You have gifts they need!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I have 15 more years!! I am looking forward to more travel for me.... BEST wishes on your new adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Congratulations on the retirement. I am sure you will have a great time and I look forward to reading more of your posts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Congrats Paula!! Hope you have a wonderful time!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Congratulations on your retirement! I'm so happy for you. I will be praying for you as you go through this life change. Sometimes even the fun changes are tough. I hope that you will get to do all of the things you've always wanted to do and more. If you ever feel the need to come up to Michigan, we'll be happy to show you around.
    -Purrs from your friends at www.PlayfulKitty.net

    ReplyDelete
  34. Wow, congratulations! It sounds like you've got a plan for what to do with all of your newfound free time - love all your goals! Good luck with this next adventure, Dr. Gregg!!!

    ReplyDelete

It's so sweet of you to leave us a comment!