Saturday, November 5, 2016

Brulee's 5th Gotcha Day

Five years ago, today, Brulee became part of our family.


We've shared all of the stories of what happened five years ago with the death of Sweet Praline, the birth of Truffle and Beignet, the death of Beignet, the birth of Brulee, and Truffle's Gotcha Day.  As we share with you in August, Brulee was born 4 days after Beignet went to the bridge.  Mom Paula wasn't sure if she'd bring home two kittens or not at this point, but Mom Terri gave her the option to get a second kitten.  It took Mom Paula almost 6 weeks to decide that she definitely wanted to bring home a second kitten and it was special that Brulee was Truffle's half sister.  Mom Terri was so great in sharing photos of Brulee those first 10 weeks of her life so we could see her growing up and we were able to share them with our readers those few short months before she came to live with us.
Baby Brulee on her bath day

Mom Paula:  Brulee is a sweetheart with a quirky personality.  She wasn't as independent and playful as Truffle was as a kitten, but she literally reached out and touched me to let me know I was her forever mom.  Truffle came to live with me in September 2011, just two short weeks after Beignet went to the bridge and Brulee was born.  I honestly wasn't sure I was going to get a second kitten after Beignet died from a sarcoma from his first vaccination. The pain of losing Sweet Praline in April was still too fresh and to then lose Beignet before he even came to live with me was almost too much.  Terri was very patient with me as I went through the grief process and about 5 weeks later, I told Terri I still wanted a second kitten.  This was going to be the first time ever that I had two pets at one time and I have to admit, I was nervous.  Since Truffle had already bonded with me, Terri decided she'd let Brulee come to live with me a couple of weeks earlier than normal (for Persians) so it would be easier for Truffle to accept another fur child in our home.  I received the photo above of Brulee, after her first bath, the day before she was scheduled to come home.  Brulee still hates a bath!
Mom Paula and Baby Truffle waiting for Brulee

I was pleasantly surprised when I received an email from ML, who formerly ran the Cat Blogosphere, the morning Brulee was scheduled to come home.  It was a welcome home poster and I immediately printed it and hung it on the door.  Truffle and I anxiously awaited the time for Brulee to arrive.  Grandma Faye even came over to wait for her new fur grandchild.
Brulee never showed any fear of Truffle from Day 1

Once again, Mom Terri brought Brulee directly to my house because she wanted to assist in the "getting to know you" period between the girls.  As soon as we put Brulee on the floor, Truffle hissed.  I must admit, it's cute to see a five-month kitten hiss.  Brulee began exploring the house while Truffle followed her around, hissing!  The hissing never phased Brulee.  She knew she was home and was already part of the family.  Even though Truffle was twice her size, it didn't phase Brulee.  Brulee began playing immediately.  I'd think Truffle was being a little rough with Brulee and would move Truffle away from her when she pinned Brulee to the floor,  But, Brulee would jump right back up and go playing with Truffle some more.
An exhausted Baby Brulee on the first day home

I stayed home all day with Truffle and Brulee to make sure they were okay.  In fact, I stayed home for a few days!  Brulee was the typical kitten in that she would play hard and fall asleep where she was sitting.  I picked her up to put her on the pink blankie ML sent the girls and she fell asleep resting next to my leg.  I had to get up for a minute and Brulee fell right over and continued sleeping.  It was a few days before the girls actually snuggled together.  Truffle and Brulee are stereotypical siblings - they get along and they fight.  Truffle still tends to want to play more than Brulee, but Brulee will let her know when she's had enough.  They've worked out the hierarchy of who gets my attention when and where. They're very respectful of each other when they play and get treats.  Unfortunately, they don't really snuggle with each other now that they are adults, but they do stay near me all the time.
Our Happy Family

Our family was finally together and it's wonderful.  They are beautiful cats with their own personalities and they make my life worth so much more because they are a part of it.  I wish every cat could experience the type of love we have together.  I'll never forget when Brulee picked me as her human mom and the day she completed our family by coming to live with us.
Caturday Art - Brulee's Gotcha Day

Since today is also the Caturday Art Blog Hop, we decided to capture our first day together as a family in art through PhotoFunia.  You can see more Caturday Art creations by visiting Athena Cat Goddess Wise Kitty.

43 comments:

  1. Happy gotcha day, Brulee! It's obvious you knew who your human was right away!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Gotcha Day!

    Such lovely photos of you. You're so sweet!

    Purrs xx
    Athena and Marie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Gotcha Day beautiful Brulee, we sure remember that homecoming!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Gotcha Day Brulee!!!!!!!!!! You sound a lot like Chimera, the other two kittens may be bigger than her but that doesn't faze her at all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Gotcha Day, Brulee! There were a few tears in reading the beautiful story of how the three of you became a family <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Gotcha Day Brulee! Those are lovely photos of you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A very happy and blessed Gotcha Day to you, Brulee! You sure hit the jackpot when you chose your mom. Purrs to you and your entire happy family!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful story, and we're so happy you have both girls. It was meant to be for sure. You got a couple of good ones.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy 5th Gotcha Day Brulee! What a wunnerful sweet girl you are.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Gotcha Day, Brulee. We've always loved your little "cowlicks". Adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Gotcha Day Brulee!
    Hard to believe it's been 5 years :O
    Continue having a great life with Truffle and Mum Paula :)
    Purrs Georgia and Julie,
    Treasure and JJ

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Gotcha Day, Brulee! We love you, and hope you had a most wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Belated Gotcha Day! We hope you had a super duper day!

    The Florida Furkids

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy belated Gotcha Day, beautiful Brulee ! Purrs

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy 5th Gotcha Day, Brûlée. We enjoyed all the photos. You were sure lucky to get such a great home. Your art is purrfect. XOCK, Lily Olivia, Mauricio, Misty May, Giulietta, Fiona, Astrid, Lisbeth and Calista Jo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy 5th Gotcha Day, Brûlée!!! What a cutie you were as a kitten and what a beautiful lady cat you've grown to be!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy Gotcha Day to Brulee! Loved seeing all of these pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sorry we're so late! But Happy Belated Gotcha day!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Almost missed your Birthday, Brulee. Happy Gotcha Day sweet kitten :) Lovely pictures, especially the little you in the bath. Extra 5 Pawkisses for the occasion :) <3

    ReplyDelete
  20. Look at little Brûlée as a sweet little one - how wonderful! Happy belated gotcha day and I hope that you are enjoying your warm and wonderful family!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. LOVE LOVE LOVE this story! Some things are just meant to be. *s*

    ReplyDelete
  22. Happy Gotcha Day anniversary Brulee!

    ReplyDelete
  23. GOTCHA~! Oh, you are so cute. And your baby photo, adorable. I sure love reading about you and your sidekick. Thanks for making my day.

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a SWEET story! I love that I now know a little more about these two beautiful kitties! The image of you holding the two of them warms my heart! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a beautiful story, and the picture after her bath - too adorable for words.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Such a lovely story. A very special happy Gotcha Day Brulee!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Happy 5th Gotcha Day Brulee. You have such a beautiful family.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love Gotcha Day - I haven't officially adopted my foster cat yet (after losing my beloved in June) but when I do I'm going to have a Gotcha Day shower - yup, I'm inviting all the people whose baby/wedding showers I had to go to. Fun right? (Also, I'll likely refer back here if I add another cat to the mix).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds great! Be sure to let us know the details.

      Delete
  29. HAPPY 5TH GOTCHA DAY Brulee! What a wonderful day that was for you & for Mom. Many happy returns!
    Love & biscuits,
    Dogs Luv Us and We Luv Them

    ReplyDelete
  30. Happy Gotcha Day! What an adorable baby Brulee was!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Happy Gotcha Day! It's lovely that they (mostly) get along!

    ReplyDelete
  32. What a lovely Gotcha Day anniversary story! Thank you for sharing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Happy Birthday to youuuuuuuuuuuuu have a pawsome day

    ReplyDelete
  34. Happy Gotcha Day! I can see why you took a few days off to spend with your kittens. You must have been so happy!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Happy Purrfect Birthday Brulee. I hope you get all the love that mom can give you, catnip, toys and a lot more

    ReplyDelete

It's so sweet of you to leave us a comment!