Sunday, September 4, 2016

Truffle's Gotcha Day

Would you believe it was 5 years ago today that Truffle came to live with Mom Paula?  It was on a Sunday, too!
Truffle on the way to her new home with Mom Paula
Truffle on Mom Terri's lap on the way to live with Mom Paula

Mom Paula:  I remember this day as if it were yesterday.  Having lost Praline in April that year and then losing Truffle's little brother, Beignet, a week earlier, I was a nervous wreck.  I remember thoughts going through my head such as "what if Terri changes her mind and doesn't let me have Truffle..." "What if I don't know how to take care of Truffle..." and "what if Truffle doesn't like me?" I know all of these thoughts were unfounded but I'd been through an emotional roller coaster the past six months.  I hadn't had a kitten in sixteen years and I'd forgotten what it was like.  I'd worked on the house all summer to get it kitten-proof (or so I thought) and had bought some new things for Truffle that wouldn't be "left overs" from Praline.,  Usually, Terri meets new parents halfway when the kittens are going to their new homes.  This time, Terri chose to bring Truffle all the way to my house. I received the photo above from Terri's cell phone as they were on the way to Columbia, SC.  She said Truffle was having a fit in the carrier, so Terri put her on her lap.  She said Truffle stayed there the entire time.  Truffle has never done that for me!  I believe to this day that Terri and Truffle also had a connection, especially those 10 days after losing Beignet.
Truffle (2011) exploring the house

I was on pins and needles waiting for Truffle to arrive.  Terri brought her to the front door in her arms with a big smile on her face and tears in her eyes.  I couldn't believe this adorable bundle of fur was finally home.  Terri brought a special pink blanket (had her kitty mom's smells on it), some toys, and Beignet's urn.  Terri sat in the floor with me while Truffle explored the living room (found the litter box, the food and water, and some toys).  I spent all afternoon watching Truffle explore the house and just holding her. I'd even scheduled a few days of annual leave from work so the two of us could get to know each other.
Truffle hiding under the TV shelf
Truffle's favorite hiding place under the TV stand

I had to go to church that night to play the piano.  My parents agreed to come over and sit with Truffle so she wouldn't be alone for two hours her first day home with me.  I'd already closed all of the doors in the hallway, but I have a large great room that is open with the foyer, kitchen, dining room, and living room.  I came home and mom told me that Truffle was hiding under the TV stand. We couldn't believe she could get under there because it was only about 2-3 inches from the floor. This would become Truffle's favorite hiding place those first few days.
First day with toys
Truffle (2011) playing with her toys

Truffle came out from under the TV stand.  I was so proud of her because she already knew her way to the litter box.  She ate a little food and played with some of her toys.  I can't believe how small she was. Two of the toys in the above photo were Praline's and she never played with them. They were still new so I did save them for Truffle.  She was curious and played with everything.  I slept in the living room on the sofa those first few nights.  I woke up in the middle of the night and Truffle had jumped on the sofa and was sleeping on my side.  We had become a new family and all was right with the world.
The first day was an exhausting day
Pooped out at the end of the day

Happy 5th Gotcha Day to my beautiful Truffle.  You were the beginning of healing that massive hole in my heart.  You have a wonderful personality and you still keep me on my toes.  I love you!
Graphic from Zoolatry

30 comments:

  1. Happy Gotcha Day Truffle, and may there be many more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy gotcha day, Truffle! I'm so glad you're here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Gotcha day Truffle!
    You got a purrfect home and family :)
    Keep on enjoying life for a long ,long time.
    Purrs Georgia and Julie,
    Treasure and JJ

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Gotcha Day beautiful Truffle, you're such a special girl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Gotcha Day, Truffle! I've enjoyed getting to know you and loved reading about your first day with your Mom :) I especially love the pictures because they say much more than any words can.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Gotcha Day, Truffle! Loved reading about your beginning with her. What a cutie she was and how beautiful she has become!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a very sweet story. Happy 5th Truffle =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Gotcha Day, Truffle! You have a special place in Mom Paula's heart.

    Love the look of your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A very happy Gotcha Day to you, Truffle! You sure hit the jackpot with your mom. You are both so lucky to have each other.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a wonderful story! Happy 5th Gotcha Day, Truffle, may you celebrate many more gotcha days to come in your wonderful forever home.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aaaaaaw Happy Gotchaday Truffle and awnty Paula. Ya'll were made fur each other. Have a purrfect day.

    Luv ya'

    Dezi and Raena

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Gotcha Day Truffle ! We wish you a wonderful day ! Purrs

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Gotcha day most beautiful girl.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very sweet post, I love that you got her a babysitter her first night and that she got on the couch to sleep with you. Happy Gotcha Day Truffle!

    ReplyDelete
  15. OMC, that is the sweetest little kitty we ever saw. Happy Gotcha Day, most delightful Truffles.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy Gotcha Day, Truffle! We love you lots, and hope you had a most wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What precious memories and adorable photos of sweet Truffle. The snoozing photo is just too, too cute! Happy Gotcha Day, Truffle. Thanks for hopping on your special day. XOCK, Lily Olivia, Mauricio, Misty May, Giulietta, Fiona, Astrid, Lisbeth and Calista Jo

    ReplyDelete
  18. Well it is a very special selfie you give us today, sweet Truffle, a birthday is always one to celebrate and enjoy. Wishing you and your mom a wonderful day and week. purrs ERin

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy Gotcha Day!!! You found the very best home to be gotchaed into!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Happy Gotcha Day, Truffle. What a lovely story, you brought a smile up on our face :) Pawkisses for a wonderful day :) <3

    ReplyDelete
  21. Happpy Happy Gotcha Day Truffles

    ReplyDelete
  22. Happy Gotcha Day!

    Purrs xx
    Athena and Marie

    ReplyDelete

It's so sweet of you to leave us a comment!