Saturday, August 27, 2016

Happy Birthday Brulee!

Today is Brulee's 5th birthday!  Our cute and quirky little girl has grown into a beautiful ladycat.
Graphic courtesy Zoolatry

Mom Paula:  I told you the story a few days ago of Truffle's little brother, Beignet, leaving for the bridge at 11 weeks of age.  I was so depressed.  I'd been on an emotional roller coaster for the past 6 months:  Sweet Praline's diagnosis of cancer, losing her one month later, making the decision to bring two new kittens in my life, having Truffle and Beignet choose me, the anxiety of waiting for the new furchildren, and then losing Beignet one week before he was scheduled to come live with me.  Even though it was a sad time, God knew what he was doing because little Brulee was born 4 days later and would eventually choose to come live with Truffle and me.
Photo courtesy Terri Rogers
August 27, 2011

Brulee was in a litter of 4 silver shaded kittens who were born to Mikayla.  Mikayla is a beautiful golden shaded Persian, which is in the same color classification of shaded Persians with the silver shaded Persians.  Brulee had the same daddy cat as Truffle, so they are half siblings.  I think it's so amazing that the silver shaded Persians are born looking like little tabbies.
Photo courtesy Terri Rogers
Brulee - 3 weeks old

To be honest, I still wasn't quite sure I was going to get  a second kitten.  I think I was so afraid of losing another one that I hesitated.  Terri was very patient with me and told me that I had first choice and we could decide by the time they were 6 weeks old.  I received Brulee's first glamour photo at 3 weeks of age.  Her darker coat was beginning to lighten and she had that Persian pout.
Photo courtesy Terri Rogers
Brulee- 5 weeks

Brulee's glamour photo at 5 weeks was a big surprise for me.  I hadn't seen a photo of her in a couple of weeks and I couldn't believe how much she'd grown.  Her fur was gorgeous, she had the round face of a Persian, and she had the cutest little brick red nose (which is standard for the silver shaded Persians).
Photo courtesy Terri Rogers
Brulee - 6 weeks

By the time Brulee was 6 weeks old, I finally told Terri that I did want a second kitten.  When I went down to visit, Brulee really wasn't my first choice.  I didn't take any photos of the kittens that day because it was the first day they'd been out in the front of the house after going to their first vet appointment.  I was the first person (besides the vet) who'd been around the kittens except for Terri's family. I played with another female kitten who looked very similar to Truffle and had Truffle's personality and the little male kitten, who was adorable.  I stayed about 3 hours with the kittens and towards the end of my visit, I told Terri I had no idea which kitten would come home with me. However, Brulee did something about 10 minutes before I left to make an impression on me.
Mom Paula and Brulee - October 21, 2011

There was a little kitten who was off to the side sleeping the entire time I was visiting.  Towards the end of the visit, she walked over to where we were sitting on the floor and rolled over and let Terri rub her belly.  I commented to Terri that she looked different from the others and Terri said she had a flatter face.  I reached over to tickle Brulee's little belly and she reached over with her paw and tapped me on the arm.  I said, "you want to make sure I remember you, don't you?"  I told Terri I had no clue and she stressed that a decision needed to be made soon because other people were waiting to choose their new fur children.  I told Terri I would let her know within a couple of days.

It was a two hour drive back home that day.  The whole way back while I was thinking about the kittens, Brulee kept popping into my mind.  Little did I know, but she had already chosen me as her mom with that tap on the arm.  I poured over the photos of all the kittens once I got home and I kept going back to Brulee's photo.  Two days later, I emailed Terri that I'd chosen kitten #2.  Let me rephrase that, Kitten #2 chose me!
Brulee - 5  years old

Brulee has the cutest personality and can make me laugh with her little quirkiness.  She grew into a beautiful silver shaded Persian who is a challenge to keep groomed because of her cottony-soft fur and big eyes that drain all the time.  She gets along with Truffle about like you'd expect sisters to do. At times I think they tolerate each other because both love me.  They aren't real cuddlers to each other, but they do seem to enjoy each other's company and tend to stay near me.  Brulee is becoming more of a love bug this past year, but on her terms.  I'm so happy she chose to be part of our little family.

Happy 5th Birthday, Cutie Pie!

33 comments:

  1. Happy birthday, Brulee! What a cutie she was as a kitten... and what a beautiful kitty she is now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday Brulee. Hope you have a really great day and many more. I do remember you when you were a kitten.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy, Happy, Happy Birthday beautiful Brulee! You sure made a great arm tapping choice sweetie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy birthday Brulee! I hope you get lots of treats and toys!

    Buckwheat

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy birthday, beautiful Brulee!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy 5th Birthday Brulee!
    Hard to believe you are 5 already!
    We wish you more happiness and many more birthdays too :)
    Purrs Georgia and Julie,
    Treasure and JJ

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't believe it's been five years already! Happy birthday little horned one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday Brulee!!!

    The Florida Furkids

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy birthday, Brulee! Such a beautiful kitten, and now a gorgeous ladycat. We hope you have a wonderful day.

    Purrs and peace,
    Nicki, Derry and the biped

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Birthday Brulee! You knew what you were doing that day picking out mom Paula. (love that hair)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Birthday, Brulee ! We wish you a wonderful day ! Purrs

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awe what a lovely story!! Happy 5th Birthday Brulee :)

    xoxo,
    Matilda (& Matt)

    ReplyDelete
  13. No matter what humans think, we kitties always are the ones making the choices. Brûlée, we are so happy that you and Mom Paula found each other. Wishing you a most wonderful 5th birthday with lots of love, cuddles and treats. XOCK, Lily Olivia, Mauricio, Misty May, Giulietta, Fiona, Astrid, Lisbeth and Calista Jo

    ReplyDelete
  14. We remember that terrible time for you but you came through it and gained two beautiful girls. Happy Birthday, lovely Brulee.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy Fifth Birthday Brulee!! You are such a charmer.

    Mindy & Mike

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mom Paula, this blog pulled my heartstrings all the way through to the end. All of them in these past several days have. I understand how you must have felt. You described how you felt so that any of us could feel or empathize with what you were going through.

    She is a beautiful girl, and that shot of her in her little tub just stole my heart forever!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy Happy 5th Birthday Brulee!!!!!!!!! Precious photos, beautiful story...wishing her the happiest of birthdays! catchatwithcarenandcody

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy Birthday beautiful Brulee! That is so sweet that she chose you.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy belated birthday, Brulee! We hope you had a super special day (because YOU are super special)! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Happy 5th Birthday to the Gorgeous Brulee !!!! Sorry we are late getting by, Mommy had a emergency she had to take care of that gobbled up our evening yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Happy Birthday Brulee. Sorry I'm late to your pawty.

    ReplyDelete
  22. OMG we're tardy to the party!! Happy Be-lated Birthday Brulee!!! Hope the year ahead is a happy one!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Sorry we's late gawjus. Happy happy 5th Meowday Brulee. We hop your day is/was purrfect. Actually we know it was. MOL Have a great weekend.

    Luv ya'

    Dezi and Raena

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm so sorry I missed your birthday, Brulee. I loved learning more about you, and reading your special origin story. I hope you had a wonderful birthday. I'm sure your wonderful mom made it the purrfect day for you!

    ReplyDelete
  25. The big FIVE! Happy Birthday, Brulee!

    ReplyDelete

It's so sweet of you to leave us a comment!