Monday, August 22, 2016

Bring Your Cat to the Vet Day #askyourvet

Pledge to take your cat to the vet this month

When  was the last time you took your cat to the vet?  You may think this is a foolish question, but statistics show that even though there are more cats owned than dogs in the United States, only a small number of cats are taken to the vet on a regular basis. Some research has shown that 83% of cats are taken to the vet the first year of ownership, but over half don't return.  The American Association of Feline Practitioners (AAFP) has used the month of August to educate cat caregivers on the importance of routine check-ups.  Not only are checkups important to get required vaccinations, but cats should be screened for possible diseases and health problems to help maintain health and longevity.
Photo courtesy of IDEXX
This post is sponsored by Pet Health Network® and the BlogPaws® Pet Influencer Network™. I am being compensated to help create awareness for the importance of the IDEXX SDMA™ kidney screening test for pets, but we only share information we feel is relevant to our readers. Neither Pet Health Network® or IDEXX is responsible for the content of this article.



Did you know that kidney disease is the leading cause for suffering and death in cats (like heart disease is for humans)? IDEXX SDMA™ is a breakthrough test that screens cats for kidney disease.  This test can detect kidney disease months to years earlier and gives the cat parent and vet time to do something about it.  If your cat receives the IDEXX SDMA screening test, kidney disease could be detected when much of the cat's kidney function is still intact.
Truffle and Brulee sharing facts about kidney disease
Truffle and Brulee share facts on kidney disease in cats



Why is it so important to have your cats tested for kidney disease?  One in three cats will develop kidney disease.  There are no visible signs early on, which is why it's important to have your cat tested with a screening test, such as IDEXX SDMA.  Cats tend to hide disease, even if it's advanced, so they can appear normal in the early stages of kidney disease.  In later stages, symptoms often include increased thirst, frequent urination, and subtle weight loss. These symptoms can also be signs of other diseases and that's why it's so important to take your cat to the vet for annual checkups which include examinations, needed vaccinations, and other screening tests, such as the IDEXX SDMA test to help identify or rule out kidney disease.
Truffle had an A+ examination at the vet

Truffle went for her annual examination last week.  She'd gained almost a pound, her temperature was normal, her teeth looked great, and the vet drew blood for baseline screening since Truffle turned 5 years old this summer.  We're happy to report that Truffle's blood work results were pretty good. There were a couple of counts that were off a little bit, but the vet believes it's her summer allergies in her eyes. Brulee goes to the vet next month for her annual checkup and will have her baseline blood work performed also.

You can get more information about IDEXX SDMA and kidney disease by following Pet Health Network® on Facebook.

This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of IDEXX. The opinions and text are all mine.

39 comments:

  1. I got a new vet due to personal reasons and I already like them a lot. Star went in Friday for a annual visit, 4 way fecal testing, etc. She has a bacterial overgrowth in her intestines:-( On medication now and a probiotic.

    I can't believe how much your girls look like my Angel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going for my therapy cat wellness visit and rabies booster this week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are in the process of transitioning to a new all-feline vet that is a lot less stressful to visit for both us and the head peep. We're glad we aren't going today, but we heard that Newton may be due for a visit soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been to the vet too many times recently because of my allergies. ~Ernie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gemini is getting close to being due for a vet visit soon. I will probably have to go to be weighed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. we are so thrilled to see a test like this and hope vets are making it available to their clients

    ReplyDelete
  7. Vet visits are so important even if I don't like the car ride.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We visit our vet once a year, it's important to get regular checkups. Purrs

    ReplyDelete
  9. We all go once a year fur our annual check up and then only if there's a need to go.... as mew know all us cats hate the VET! MOL

    Purrs

    Basil & Co xox

    ReplyDelete
  10. At the next round-up, I am having everyone tested. With the tragedy of Fiona's Stage 4 CKD, I want to catch anyone else early on.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mudpie needs to make an appointment for her annual check-up next month!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Excellent post, I am glad there is a test to detect kidney disease earlier, now if only there was a cure.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've been to the vet twice this year already and that's enough. I like my vet cos her husband loves my blog and shares my FB posts.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mom Peggy is very interested in kidney values as Angel Cerise and Angel Lilly both had it. So far, so good with us. Minchie is going to the vet tomorrow for his shots.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Until I started blogging, I had no idea how common kidney issues are in cats. Bear’s 10 … and I worry … so at his next visit, I think I’ll ask for the test. Thank you for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Glad.to hear Truffle had a pretty good check up! Allergies are doing us all on this year!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm so happy her wellness exam checked out and it was "boring" and loved your post on kidney exams and how important that is for cat owners. Cats are so stoic and you must catch the signs early if you can.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Take your cat to the vet day is a great initiative - all our cats have 6 month or 12 month check-ups. Charlie visits twice a year because he has a heart mumur as well as IBD.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Truffle and Brulee look so well-behaved and relaxed! Rosie tends to go nuts and hiss at everyone. I definitely want her kidneys tested at her next appointment.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I really want to see if there is the same issue with dogs...

    ReplyDelete
  21. I had never heard of this testing for kitty kidney function, and it's good to know that it can be done before problems show up. Your cats are so beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. It does seem that cats get way less medical attention than dogs, particularly when it comes to preventive measures but also when they are sick. Everybody should take their pet (regardless of what species) for a wellness exam at least once a year.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow, two scary stats; so many people not taking their cats to the Vet and 1 in 3 kitties developing kidney disease! This is a great early detection test, it would have been great for my cat Maggie. She had kidney disease in her old age, but she lived to be nearly 19 so I can't complain.
    Love & Biscuits,
    Dogs Luv Us and We Luv Them

    ReplyDelete
  24. None of us mind going to the vet. We are always well behaved even if we are a little apprehensive. If that test can detect kidney disease early, that is a good thing. I truly believe that if pet parents fed their cats a raw diet, there would be less kidney disease.

    ReplyDelete
  25. we're currently looking for a better cat vet! We need one that understands cats and doesn't just poke and release.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm glad that Truffle and Brulee have had great results on their blood work! There is a lot of work still to be done in convincing cat owners that veterinary care is important for cats. I think the problem is that cats are so good at pretending they feel fine! People often wait for symptoms of illness to get help (even in their own health care).
    -Purrs from your friends at www.PlayfulKitty.net

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great news to hear that they are healthy happy cats :) A vet visit is so important for our pets as its like kids they need their annual check up :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thanks for the info! Pinning it on my "Mews News" board. And I'm so glad Truffle's report is good and here's to a good one for Brulee next month!

    ReplyDelete
  29. We agree 100% tha you should avoid the vet at all costs!!

    * what Mum?...... Start again.. get it right..???*

    Ahem. :-) We are glad you girls are fit and healthy and beautiful. Some people never take their cats to the vet so they have no idea if they are doing OK - unlike you two! You look lovely and we are thrilled to see your vet pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  30. It's important that all pets get regular check-ups. I see a lot of cats around here who aren't updated on vaccines or who don't go to the vet unless they're really sick.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Prevention is better than cure! Those are concerning statistics. I agree, its' great for cats to get used to visiting the vets more often.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I wish I had known about this and screened Nala. She got sick at 16 or 17 and it took a little while for me to realize. She was treated for kidney disease and her diet changed but she would have been much more comfortable her last 6-12 months if I had known earlier and probably lived another year.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I am always surprised by the number of people who don't take their cats to the vet. I'm asking my vet about this test the next time I take my cat in for his visit.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Very timely as it's almost time for Isa & Betty's annual visit, and I'm going to look into the Kidney screening. Thanks for the info.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I am so happy to see you shared this initiative, Paula. I know a lot of folks skip cat vet visits. It is so important. Our vet even has a separate cat entrance.

    ReplyDelete
  36. We go regularly. Mommy wouldn't have it any other way.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Oh wow...I didn't know a lot of cats don't get to go to the vet regularly. I'm sure this post will bring awareness to a lot of cat owners.

    ReplyDelete
  38. I didn't know that there weren't early signs, good to know there's a test available! Cats deserve the same level of care as dogs.

    ReplyDelete
  39. I think its sad that a lot of people out there don't seem to think bringing their cat to a vet is important :(

    ReplyDelete

It's so sweet of you to leave us a comment!