Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Grooming Our Challenging Persian Fur

If you don't already know, we are Persian kitties with very long and thick fur.  If we aren't groomed everyday, our fur can mat into tight knots that can be painful if not removed.  Many of you have asked how Mom Paula keeps us looking so beautiful.  Even though we are 5 years old, we still give Mom Paula a difficult time when it comes to grooming and Mom Paula has searched for the "purrfect" comb to groom Brulee.  Brulee has cottony-soft fur and very sensitive skin.  Most combs are a little sharp on the end and don't get through her fur and I end up combing over the knots.
Beautiful Brulee and her challenging fur

Disclosure:  We received the Resco® grooming products free for our honest review.  We were not compensated for our review and all opinions are our own.  Resco is not responsible for the content of this post.

Mom Paula:  As stated above, Brulee and Truffle have been a challenge to groom.  I was spoiled with how easily it was to groom Sweet Praline and wasn't prepared for two Persians with long, thick fur who didn't like grooming.  Truffle came to live with me at about 14 weeks of age and accepted a soft brushing of her fur and occasional clipping of her nails.  Brulee was a different story.  She was about 10 weeks of age when she came to live with us and was a squirmy little worm from the beginning. She didn't like being placed on her back and clipping her toenails has been a lesson in patience and persistence.  She didn't like brushing or combing and would scream loudly as if I were killing her. Truffle would run and hide when I would begin a grooming session with Brulee.  I've gone as far as having an animal communicator talk to Brulee about grooming and the response was "it hurts."  I've tried almost every recommended comb and slicker brush out there and Brulee didn't like any of them.  I felt the tips of the pins of the combs and slicker brushes and realized that they were a little pointed.  I was determined not to shave my beautiful Persians and continued to seek out that comb/brush that would work on both of the girls' fur.
Resco® grooming products

I was lucky to meet some representatives from Resco® Grooming and Handling Products at Global Pet Expo this past Spring.  I was explaining the challenge of grooming the girls and said I was trying to find a slicker brush that wasn't so sharp to use on Truffle and Brulee because I'd read that I needed to use a slicker brush when first beginning a grooming session.  They showed me the Pro Series Small Slicker Brush and when I touched the tips of the brush, they didn't feel as sharp.  A slicker brush is good because it removes loose fur and smooths and finishes the coat of almost any breed. The pins of the Pro Series slicker brush are dual-height stainless steel pins that make brushing a little easier for the groomer (me) and painless for the girls.  The Pro Series slicker brush comes in two sizes (large and small) to fit any hand.  The slicker brush has radiused and curved corners that allows me to grip the brush back comfortably where I have better control to work on the girls.  The handles are ergonomic and are co-molded soft rubber which makes it easier to handle, even if wet.  The representatives gave me a small slicker brush to bring home and try on the girls.  Even though many instructional videos on grooming Persian cats say you should use the slicker brush first; I've found that isn't the case with Truffle and Brulee.  I need to begin with a good comb that will get down underneath the layers of fur to comb out all the loose fur and find knots.  I did find this slicker brush much easier to use and both Truffle and Brulee are more accepting of its use, especially on their tender tummies.
Resco® Ergo Comb and Pro Series Small Slicker Brush

As I continued talking with the Resco representatives about the challenges of getting underneath all of the girls' fur with a comb that had longer pins that weren't sharp, they showed me the Resco® Ergo Combs.  I found this comb to be different from any of the other combs I'd tried on the girls the past five years.  The Ergo Combs are made with an aluminum handle that is comfortable in my hand. The pins are made of steel and are press-fitted into a brass shank and then nickel-plated.  This unique assembly is then attached to the aluminum handle, which creates a strong and durable grooming comb.  I was given the No. 80 comb with coarse pins to try out with the girls.  This comb has an all-new aluminum extruded, contoured handle that is both light weight and strong.  The comfort-fit handle is designed to fit perfectly in your hand.  I can't explain how different and wonderful this comb felt when I put it in my hand.  It was very easy to handle, didn't press into my skin like traditional metal combs, and was light weight.  The Ergo Combs come in three sizes:  medium with 35 pins, coarse with 25 pins, and a combination which combines both coarse and medium teeth.  The test was how well it worked on Truffle and Brulee.
Using the Resco® Ergo No. 80 comb on Truffle

I don't often get extremely impressed with a grooming product, but I am amazed with this comb.  You can see in the photo above how well the comb gets into Truffle's thick fur.  The comb isn't really as large as the photo because of the perspective of the photo.  Try holding your Persian cat, combing her, and taking a photo at the same time!  The comb was very comfortable to use and both of the girls sat comfortably in my lap while I combed them.  Even Brulee was more relaxed and allowed me to comb most of her fur without resistance.  I can find knots easier with this comb, which allows me to work them out better without hurting the girls.  I must tell you that I've also reward the girls with a treat after their grooming session, so they are little more willing to sit for a few moments.  I'm thankful Brulee has a flat face with a small mouth because she's bitten me twice in the past.  She didn't break the skin, but I had a major bruise.  When Brulee has had enough (she lets me know with a screeching meow and an almost bite), I let her loose and she walks away, but turns around waiting for her treat.  I credit the less painful grooming session with the Ergo Comb and the tasty treats with a more successful grooming session.  The video below shows a short session of grooming with the Ergo Comb on Truffle.  You can see how relaxed she is and how well the comb works.



I was also given a Resco® Original Guillotine-Style Animal Nail Trimmer for cats to try on the girls. Resco invented the animal nail trimmer in 1937.  They invented the replaceable blade feature in 1972 and the design is so unique that it is patented.  I'd always used the "scissor-style" trimmers because of my smaller hands.  I was interested in trying the Resco cat trimmer because of it's smaller size and the guillotine-styled handle.  The deluxe version has handle grips and color powder coating.  The cat trimmer is red and weighs about 2.25 ounces.  I like the action of this trimmer and it fits great in my smaller hands.  Truffle and Brulee have very small paws and white nails among the silvery-white feet, which makes finding and trimming their nails difficult.  Although I loved the feel of the trimmers in my hand and the action of the trimmers, it was difficult to hold the girls (especially squirming Brulee) and see their nails with this trimmer.  I'll continue to work with them and the trimmer in the future because of the cleanness of the nail trim.
Brulee demonstrating the Resco® products and the amount of fur that was removed with the comb and slicker brush.

You can see the above products and many others on the Resco website.  These products aren't available in the average pet stores, but you can find a local distributor at the Find a Distributor webpage to purchase the products.  I was able to locate the Ergonomic Pet CombOriginal Cat Nail Clippers, and Professional Slicker Brush on Amazon.  I encourage both my cat and dog readers to explore the grooming products offered by Resco and consider purchasing them to help your fur child look the best she can look.

22 comments:

  1. While Boodie isn't a Persian, she does have long, thick fur and my human has found - like you - that combing through it first and then using the slicker brush really gets out the loose fur and any mats best. These grooming tools sound awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review and we are loving those brushes! Parsley especially as he need at least 2 brush sessions a day to feel 'normal' and make his black fur even sleeker and shinier! MOL

    Purrs

    Basil & Co xox

    ReplyDelete
  3. When the cat isn't happy, no one's happy :) Yay for less stressful grooming. This year so far has been ridiculous with Bear ... he's a short hair but I've been struggling to keep up with him. I'm lucky that he likes the slicker brushes - I'll have to take a look at these. Our clippers need replacing too - they are too small and cramp my hands/lock the joints up - thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The mom uses a comb similar to that on Zoey, though Zoey isn't really a fan of being groomed. You girls are beautiful no matter what. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you found something you like! And I love your paw print nails in the video. :-) Such a stylish lady.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I admire you for doing it yourself! :) I have enough trouble trying to keep 3 short-haired dogs clean and brushed!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know all about the challenges of a long hair cat! Lloyd is the first cat I've had with long hair and oh my goodness it can be a challenge to keep him groomed and knot free. I am lucky however that he enjoys being brushed and combed, he thrives on it ;) Except when it comes to nail trims!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fortunately, I didn't have to groom my cat but I was never able to clip her nails (the vet tech did it for me). Searching for tools must be a task. I think I still have brushed and clippers I don't use at the bottom of a basket. somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think the texture of Persian cat hair may be similar to my Eskie/Pomeranian mix's hair. She gets matted behind her ears and her back legs if I don't brush her well. I think this comb might be a good option for her.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your do such a beautiful job grooming them and I'm sure these tools make a huge difference. I haven't lived with any long haired animals only dogs with a short coat but I know this can take many hours per week. Finding the right product is really important.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great products and wish I had had them 20 years ago for my cats

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my goodness! The animal communicator attempt to speak to your kitty about grooming receiving response 'it hurts'! I'm blown away. Your efforts are fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow -- look at that comb! I remember the Persian we had...oh my, if you didn't get finished grooming quickly and painlessly, you felt the wrath of a swift paw slap. That whap carried the strength of a professional boxer =)

    Great review, very thorough! I like the look of that slicker too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's great you found something that works better for the girls! Long-haired pets come with a lot of brushing... We had a groomer recently brush Mr. N with a giant slicker brush and I think it hurt him. He didn't want his tail touched.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, I just cannot imagine brushing out all of that fur! It's beautiful though, and quite the labor of love.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I look forward to checking out the whole Resco product line. Ruby needs constant grooming or she gets tangled. I love that comb - hopefully, they have something similar for poodles!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sometimes it's so hard to find the right comb or brush, & it makes grooming a challenge. I use OetSmart grooming a lot, lol! Glad you found better grooming tools for the cats.
    Love & biscuits,
    Dogs Luv Us and We Luv Them

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sometimes it's so hard to find the right comb or brush, & it makes grooming a challenge. I use OetSmart grooming a lot, lol! Glad you found better grooming tools for the cats.
    Love & biscuits,
    Dogs Luv Us and We Luv Them

    ReplyDelete
  19. WOW you nailed it here. I am glad you showed folks the tools to get. As someone who is slowly learning some dog grooming, that is really helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow! That is a whole other kitten you got from that hair. The comb does look amazing; I will have to look into that for the Rooster.

    ReplyDelete

It's so sweet of you to leave us a comment!