Monday, May 16, 2016

Pesky Critters

Disclosure:  This is not a sponsored post and there are no links to preventative medication included. There are some brand names mentioned in the post that I've used on my cats.  The opinions expressed are my own.  

It's that time of the year when it gets warmer in the South and those nasty critters come out that can bite us and cause problems.  Even though we are indoor kitties, we receive a monthly topical treatment for fleas, ticks, and heart worms.  Truffle hates getting this treatment and Mom Paula has to sneak up on her to apply the treatment.
Truffle hates this monthly treatment

Mom Paula:  When I got my first cat over 40 years ago, I thought that if she was an indoor only cat that she wouldn't get fleas.  Little did I realize how wrong I was.  Somehow, we got an infestation of fleas in our house one year with Muff.  The fleas were so bad that we could see them hopping on our legs when we'd walk through the house.  We had to get her out of the house so the exterminator could fumigate the house.  Muff was taken to the vet and given a "dip" so we could get rid of the fleas on her.  We didn't let her wear a flea collar (which was the standard then) because she was known for getting her foot stuck in the collar and we were afraid she'd get in trouble with a collar while we were at work during the day.
Mom Paula's first cat, Muff

I want to share a humorous (at least it is now) story about the several hours we had to get Muff out of the house.  My ex-husband was a band director, so we took Muff to the band room and put her in one of the practice rooms while Randy and I did some school work.  We stayed there for several hours to allow time for the extermination to be safe to go back home.  When we went to get Muff to take her home, she was no where to be found.  We knew we hadn't opened the door and we were becoming frantic.  There were shelves in the practice room where school instruments were located.  We looked on every shelf and still couldn't find Muff.  Finally, we noticed a slight hole in the ceiling and wondered if Muff had gotten in the ceiling.  Randy climbed up into the ceiling and finally found Muff.  As Randy was climbing around in the ceiling to get Muff, he stepped through the ceiling and almost fell through.  Luckily, he was okay and we were able to retrieve Muff.  We took her home and slowly, the flea infestation was gone.  I can't believe that when I was giving Truffle and Brulee their monthly treatment last night, I remembered this story since it occurred in the 80s.
Praline 

I had another flea infestation with Praline.  I came home after a business trip and I could see the fleas crawling on Praline's belly and I was getting bitten.  Praline was also an inside kitty and I couldn't figure out how the fleas came inside.  I honesty think the pet sitter brought some fleas indoors from some of the animals she was looking after that week.  Praline got sick shortly after this infestation and the vet thought she had something called flea fever.  She was already a senior kitty at this point and the vet recommended she be put on a monthly topical treatment of Advantage.  Honestly, I only gave it to her during the warm spring and summer months because of her age.  I never found anymore critters on her.
Brulee and Truffle

When I was talking to the breeder about bringing Truffle and Brulee home, we discussed the flea treatment.  I told her I'd given Praline the Advantage and she recommended I give the girls something like Revolution because of the danger of heart worms.  I knew dogs had heartworms, but I'd never heard of cats getting them.  Terri (a vet tech) explained that heartworms came from mosquitoes and if one got in the house and stung the girls, they could develop heartworm disease.  Heartworm disease if a very scary situation for our pets and can potentially be fatal.  The disease is caused by worms that can grow to a foot and live in the heart, lungs, and associated blood vessels.  Heartworms can be transmitted by the bite of a mosquito who has bitten an infected animal.  We have a lot of mosquitoes in South Carolina with our warm moist climate and they do get indoors.  Cats are an atypical host for heartworms and the heartworms don't usually survive to the adult stage in cats.  Even though cats don't usually have adult heartworms, the immature worms can cause a condition known as heartworm associated respiratory disease (HARD).  The medication used to treat heartworm infections for dogs cannot be used for cats, so prevention is the only way to protect them.  When I found out this information and knew how frequently mosquitoes flew into my house, I chose to begin Truffle and Brulee on Revolution.  At first, I only gave it to them during the warm months, but their veterinarian recommended year-round since we have more warm days than cold days in SC.  Truffle really does hate the medication and realizes what it is before I even get near her.  The vet say it could burn a little bit since there is some alcohol in the medication and the smell is pretty strong.  I don't have anyone living with me to assist with the application, so I have to put the applicator in my pocket and sneak up on the girls.  Truffle is first because she'll take off running as soon as she smells it.

So far, there have been no pesky critters on the girls, so I'll continue to treat them monthly.


15 comments:

  1. We haven't worried too much about fleas here. I think I got a flea treatment once, since I go outside sometimes, but with the dog gone, it's rare for us to have them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I first brought Milita here, I had to treat her for fleas because she definitely had them - Indiana is full of fleas!! Ever since then, there hasn't been a single flea anywhere, thank goodness! Fleas don't really thrive in this climate, but I have heard there are a few in some parts of the state. I'm just glad that they don't thrive where we live. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have been lucky. Now and then the woman has to get some boric acid and then uses that on the floors and cleans it up so we don't step in it, but it always seems to do the trick when we get fleas in the house. Our vet was not thrilled about heartworm prevention as he says it is very low risk for cats and as a naturopathic vet, he has concerns about medications that they likely won't need.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mum doesn't worry about fleas as we haven't ever had any yest (paws crossed)!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mom Peggy is very glad to hear you girls are treated for heartworm prevention. Angel Cerise had heartworms back in the 1990's and not much was known about it then in cats. She survived and was always referred to as the Miracle Cat at the clinic. Mom Peggy got to see the nasty worms on her heart on the ulstrasound. Yep, infected mosquitoes can get inside.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We've been using Advantage for years, and I only put it on the kitties in the late spring, summer and early fall, unless I see a flea on one of the kitties. Our vet recommended the Revolution, but we have not tried it. They don't like the Advantage either. If they hear that little snap noise when you puncture the top of the tube, they too head for the hills. Truffle's eyes definitely indicate that she is on high alert. This was an excellent and informative (and amusing) post. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fleas can be really bad down here in Florida, but with all-indoor cats and no carpet, we haven't had an infestation since Ashton brought fleas in with her as a kitten.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent post, I learned indoor cats can fleas 2 summers ago- it was expensive to treat 15 cats for 3 months.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The summer after I adopted Angel Tara we had a *bad* flea infestation. Once we finally got rid of them I have her Advantage for a few months after and we had no trouble with her, Truffles or Mudpie since. *Fingers crossed*

    ReplyDelete
  10. We haven't had fleas...yet...and we purr that we never get them. We purr that Truffle and Brulee don't get them either. They're nasty.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We had fleas when we first got here because of our woofie Katie. When they were gone, we never had another infestation. Mom doesn't like to give us anything we don't need and, even when Angels Cubby and Clifford were still alive, we never had another flea.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We're all indoor kitties, but yes, the peeps go outside, and they sure can bring those things inside. Sister Zoe is allergic to flea bites so we get regular flea treatments too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for sharing the story. Our cats also take off when they know it's time for their dose of flea meds!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Touch wood - our kitties have never experienced fleas.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Angel Hercule and Angel Isis had to be treated against fleas, but we don't have any. Since we have a fence, Claire didn't give it to us any more, and it's OK. But we still get our worm treatment as we hunt and eat birds and mice. Purrs

    ReplyDelete

It's so sweet of you to leave us a comment!