Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Is Your Cat at Risk for Kidney Disease? #AskYourVet

We go to the vet every year for our annual checkup (and sometimes in between if needed). Our vet mentioned last year that when we turned 5 this summer that she wanted to do some baseline bloodwork.  Other than a couple of upper respiratory infections, we're pretty healthy.  We want to make sure we're staying healthy, especially with our kidneys.
Brulee and Dr. McKinnon
Dr. McKinnon examines Brulee
This post is sponsored by Pet Health Network® and the BlogPaws® Pet Influencer Network™. I am being compensated to help create awareness for the importance of the IDEXX SDMA™ kidney screening test for pets, but we only share information we feel is relevant to our readers. Neither Pet Health Network® or IDEXX is responsible for the content of this article.


1 in 3 Cats May Develop Kidney Disease

IDEXX photo of three cats
Image courtesy of IDEXX

Did you know that 1 in 3 cats are likely to develop kidney disease in their lifetime?  Kidney disease is one of the leading causes of suffering and death for cats (similar to heart disease for humans).  As cats age, their chances of developing kidney disease increases.  It's scary to know that more than half of the cats over age 15 have kidney disease.  Cats are experts at hiding signs of illness and once the disease is diagnosed, the kidneys have lost most of their function.  My first cat, Muff, developed Chronic Renal Failure (CRF) at 17 years of age. She was already at the point of having 6 months to a year to live by the time the diagnosis occurred.   


Muff
Muff developed Chronic Renal Failure

IDEX SDMA™ Breakthrough Screening Test for Kidney Disease

I've only had four cats in my life and one has already died from kidney disease.  I hope that I can beat the odds with Truffle and Brulee and avoid them developing kidney disease. IDEXX SDMA™ is a breakthrough new test that screens for kidney disease.  If your vet administers this test for your cats, kidney disease can be diagnosed months to years earlier than previously and allows time to do something about the disease.  The great thing about the IDEXX SDMA™ is that it can detect kidney disease when much of the kidney function is still intact and give your vet and you the opportunity to take action quicker and allow your cat the best chance at a healthy, happy, and long life, even with kidney disease.  

Dr. Strom examines Truffle

Ask Your Vet for the IDEXX SDMA™ Kidney Screening Test

I received the notification last week from the vet's office that it is time for Truffle's annual examination.  Truffle will be five years old next month and it's time for some baseline blood work and tests.  It's important to monitor her health so she can live a long, happy, and healthy life. The IDEXX SDMA test is available to all veterinarians in the United States and Canada. Currently, approximately 2 in 5 veterinarians in the U.S. are already including IDEXX SDMA in their routine testing (and most at no added cost).  I'll make sure to ask Truffle and Brulee's vet if they are performing the test.  I want to provide the best possible care for my girls and earlier diagnosis and monitoring of kidney disease allows me the chance to give it to them.  I want to have as many years as possible with my two beautiful girls.  

To learn more about IDEXX SDMA and to stay updated, follow Pet Health Network® on Facebook.

This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Pet Health Network®. The opinions and text are all mine.

31 comments:

  1. Wow, that's really scary, I knew it was common, but I had no idea 1/3 of cats may get it. Very glad to hear about this breakthrough!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My human is really excited about the IDEXX SDMA test, and she is definitely asking about it next time Binga or Boodie goes in for a checkup. I'm only a little over 2, so it may be a little too early for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will have to see if we can get that test in NZ! It looks a very positive step forward for cats!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Me and Ernie have both had the test. Unfortunately, it showed that I'm in early stages of CRF, but now we know and can treat me to help slow the progression of the disease. ~Wally

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for this information. This is something I will be sure to discuss with my vet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How scary! Thanks for the important info!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's unfortunate that a late diagnosis can be so debilitating. I'm happy to hear that there will be cats that can be treated for kidney disease much earlier now that this screening exists.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing some great information for cat parents!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My sister cat has a lot of problems with her kidney's. I don't own cats, so I don't know a lot about them, but I will be sending her this blog to read!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Unfortunately, I lost several cats to kidney disease over the years.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My lovely Nala died of kidney disease at 17. It hit badly and I was unaware at first what was wrong - she was gone in 6 months as she just would not eat etc. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I lost a cat to Feline Urological Syndrome. It is heartbreaking and all too common.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's true, we cats ARE experts at hiding stuff. That's why it's so very important we see our doctors, regularly. Harder to hide stuff from them, I believe. Purrs, Seville.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's great that more vets are adding it to routine blood panels. Cats are so good at hiding pain.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I had no idea how common this was. Great info. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, I didn't know it was that common! Great to have better screening options.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great post my old kitty had kidney failure when he got to be 18 years old. Thank you for reminding a lot of other cat parents about this cause it really is so very common in cats.

    ReplyDelete
  18. We get this test on our dog and so glad we do. TY for writing about this, Paula.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great post. I will definitely ask for this test. We know all about kidney disease and we didn't know about Spooky's until it was too late.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Such an awesome post - we have experience with kidney disease through one of our pups; and now we are just shocked to learn the % of kitties affected. I will share - thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I had no idea that cats were at high risk for kidney issues. I'll have to ask my vet if she includes this test in the blood work she orders for my cat.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is great! We just had this test done for our dog as well.

    ReplyDelete
  23. That's sad that cats are so prone to kidney disease but great that vets have a way to test for it. I had a leopard gecko, of all things, pass away from kidney failure.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I know this is common in cats but had no idea that 1 in 3 was the rate. That is no good odds! I am so glad there is a test and they are starting to include it in their exams. It will give them much better chances!! Great informative post!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thus is so terrific, it should be mandatory for all cat owners. 1 in 3 is a scary statistic.
    Love & biscuits,
    Dogs Luv Us and We Luv Them

    ReplyDelete
  26. Carmine and Lita have both already had the SDMA test for the year - they are both not showing signs of early CRF, thankfully. CRF is such a tough thing to go through, and I am glad that advances are being made to allow vets to diagnose and treat CRF earlier.

    ReplyDelete
  27. We have lost two cats to kidney disease in the past. So glad this test now exists.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thank you for this info. So glad there's the new test. Will have to speak with my vet about it for our Binx.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Fantastic, important information here! Thanks so much for sharing the details on IDEXX's SDMA test. Kitties the world over will benefit!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Unfortunately, my cat has kidney disease. We've been battling it for 2.5 years now. Unfortunately, the battle is soon ending and it's killing me too. She's 17 and was diagnosed before the test but thanks to the keen perception of my cat boarder.

    ReplyDelete

It's so sweet of you to leave us a comment!